Document Legalisation

Legalisation is the confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a company or personal document prepared by a UK solicitor, notary public or registrar is authentic before such documents can be accepted outside the United Kingdom.

In the following sections, you will find information on the type of documents, procedures, fees and the TBCCI services associated with Legalisation. You can alternatively go directly to the Document Certification section to use the Certification and Legalisation services provided by the Turkish British Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

» Documents Requiring Legalisation
» Legalising Authority
» Further Information

Documents Requiring Legalisation

In general, if you want a certified copy of a document for use outside the UK you must have it attested or certified by a Notary Public. Usually the documents attested or certified by a Notary Public need to be legalised.

These documents include; Birth certificates, Certificates of name change, Marriage certificates, Bank documents, Academic qualifications, Export documentation, Invoices, Certificates of Incorporation, Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association, Company Registers, Power of Attorney, Resolutions and other papers.

Please consult the TBCCI office or go to our Document Certification section to find out if your documents require notarisation or legislation. We will inform you what documents will be required and whether in addition to certification by the TBCCI, FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) legalisation will be necessary. For further information, FCO Legalisation website.

Legalising Authority

FCO, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, is the only UK authority able to issue legalisation certificates. Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man issue their own legalisation certificates.

Further Information

For more information about Notarisation, Exceptions in issuing authority (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man), Apostille (Legalisation Certificate), UK Legalisation of foreign documents, Academic Certificates and the Hague Convention, please visit the our Frequently Asked Questions section.