Turkish British Chamber of Commerce and Industry  

You are here:    
Home > Frequently Asked Questions



What is Turkish British Chamber of Commerce and Industry?

TBCCI is as a non-profit making organisation established to provide its members with a wide range of services targeted at promoting business, bilateral trade, investment and joint ventures in and between the UK and Turkey. Chamber members are business leaders in the UK or Turkey with expertise in a wide range of business sectors. For further information about TBCCI, click on Our Mission.

What are the benefits of becoming a member of the Chamber?
Members of the Turkish British Chamber of Commerce and Industry receive a host of benefits and privileges including free or discounted Chamber services; exposure to business networks, events, lobbying; information, advice and Members-Only Online support for the promotion of your businesses in and between the UK and Turkey. For further information, click on Membership Benefits.

How do I become a member?
TBCCI Membership is open to both companies and individuals from any country. You can apply Online for membership. To learn about the application process, click on Become a Member.

Which services does the Chamber offer?
The chamber provides a wide range of services and products to its members and the public to promoting business in and between the UK and Turkey. These services and products range from general business support through exposure to networks, events, lobbying; information, advice, links to professional service providers to expert authorised cervices for Certification and Legalisation of documents for imports and exports. For further information, click on TBCCI Services and Products or Site Plan.

What is Certification?

Certification is the validation of the authenticity of a document.

What is Legalisation?
Legalisation is the confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a company or personal document prepared by a UK solicitor, notary public or registrar is authentic before such documents can be accepted outside the United Kingdom.

What Documents need be certified or legalised?
Birth certificates, Certificates of name change, Marriage certificates, Bank documents, Academic qualifications, Export documentation (Certificates of Origin, ATR and EUR1), Invoices, Certificates of Incorporation, Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association, Company Registers, Power of Attorney, Resolutions and other papers.

Who can Legalise a document
FCO, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, is the only UK authority able to issue legalisation certificates. Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man issue their own legalisation certificates. For some documents, Turkish Consulate’s validation may also be necessary.

What Certification and Legalisation services are provided by TBCCI?
- TBCCI is authorised by both the UK and Turkish authorities to issue and validate Certificates of Origin, ATR and EUR1 and certify Invoices, Letters, Powers of Attorney, Articles of Association, Memorandum of Association, Special Certificates and other Commercial documents.
- In addition to these certification services offered, TBCCI will inform what documents are required and if Turkish Consulate validation or FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) legalisation is necessary
- For documents that require Chamber certification and Turkish Consulate validation, TBCCI will provide a “Special Courier Service” to complete services for you in two days
- For documents that require FCO legalisation, the same “Special Courier Service” is provided to complete the FCO authorisation in one day, which usually takes 3-7 days by post.

For further information about the Chambers services for Certification and Legalisation, click on Document Certification or Document Legalisation.

Memorandum of Association
The Memorandum of Association contains the name, the objects and powers of the company and the amount of its nominal share capital. It describes the external operations and business relationships of the company, the limitation of the liability of the shareholders or the guarantees of the members. It includes the requirement that the income of the association is used for the objects of the association. When seeking registration of a company in the UK, the Memorandum of Association must be submitted to the Registrar of Companies.

Articles of Association
Whereas the Memorandum of Association describes the external relations of the company, Articles of Association sets out the internal structure, rules and procedures of the organisation. It contains the place of business, general meetings, voting rights, issue and transfer of shares, appointment of directors, accounting matters and other administrational issues of the company.

What is a Certificate of Origin?

A Certificate of Origin is a document attesting that goods in a particular export shipment are wholly obtained, produced, manufactured, or processed in a particular country (Country of Origin). Almost all countries in the world require confirmation of the origin of imported goods when determining what duty will be assessed on the goods or, in some cases, whether the goods may be legally imported. Certificates of Origin may be needed to comply with Letters of Credit, banking requirements, quota requirements imposed by the importing country foreign Customs requirements, buyer's request or other official and commercial reasons.

What is ATR?
An ATR is a certificate for the movement of industrial products entitled to preferential duty rates for export to Turkey under the terms of the Customs Union between the EU and Turkey. The purpose of ATR certificates is to declare that the exported goods are manufactured in or have free circulation status within the EU.

What is EUR1?
A EUR1 is a certificate entitling preferential import duty rates, usually zero, for exports to Turkey from the UK or a European Union (EU) country. To qualify for EUR1 certificate,
the goods must have a free circulation status in the EU, all EU duties and taxes paid, and accompanied by a correctly completed and endorsed form. EUR1 certification is required for most agricultural, and all coal and steel products. For all other industrial products, an ATR certificate is used.

For further information about the Chambers services for ATR and EUR1 Certification, click on ATR Certificates or EUR1 Certificates.

What is the meaning of 'Manufactured in the EU (or Turkey)'
Goods are manufactured in the EU (or Turkey) if they originate in the EU (or Turkey) or the place of manufacture is in any of the EU member countries (or Turkey)

What is 'Free Circulation status within the EU (or Turkey)'
- Goods imported from outside the Community or Turkey have 'free circulation' status if all import formalities have been completed and any customs duties or equivalent charges have been paid and not repaid in whole or in part.
- Goods manufactured in the Community and/or Turkey wholly or partly from materials or parts originating outside the Community or Turkey have ‘free circulation’ status if all import formalities for the materials or parts have been completed and any customs duties or equivalent charges have been paid and not repaid in whole or in part.

Free Circulation status within the EU (or Turkey) is a requirement for eligibility of preference under ATR movement certificates between the EU and Turkey. As the above qualification for ‘free circulation’ is valid irrespective of the ‘ origin ’ of the goods, the ATR constitutes an advantage over the other existing preferential agreements (e.g. EUR1).

What are Incoterms
FOB, CIF, EXW, FCA, FAS, FOB, CFR, CIF, CPT, CIP, DAF, DES, DEQ, DDU or DDP are used generally as a short hand way of defining the contractual obligations of the buyer and the seller regarding the place of delivery, loading, transport, unloading, insurance, duties of the goods and which costs are incurred by whom and where. These terms are used generally in Export - Import documents such as ATR, EUR Certificate of Origin, Letters of Credit, Invoices, Statements, international contracts and other documents, and provide a reference for the clarification of import requirements and shipping practices involved.

The obligation of the Seller is restricted to making the goods available at his/her premises; minimum risk case for the Seller.

In this group, the seller, at his own cost, is responsible to deliver the goods to a carrier chosen by the buyer.

The seller arranges and pays for the international carriage of the goods, but the responsibility for providing insurance to cover the costs associated with the risks related with the operation subsequent to the shipment of the goods remains with the Buyer.

Maximum risk case for the Seller, where the seller has to cover all costs and risks associated with bringing the goods to the place of destination.
For details of these terms, click on Incoterms 2000

What are Transport Documents
Bill of Lading (BOL or B/L), Standard Shipping Note (SSN), CIM Consignment Note, Export Cargo Shipping Instruction (ECSI, CMR Consignment Note, Air Waybill (AWB), Dangerous Goods Note Air Waybill, House Air Waybill, TIEX Note, Transfer Note, Water Note are types of Transport Documents used in export and import.
Click on Transport Documents for a description of the main transport documents that may be required for UK export procedures.

EU Member countries
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Export Declaration is a formal statement made by the exporter to customs at a port of exit declaring full details about goods being exported, including contents, value, destination and other requirements. There are mainly three type of Export Declaration

i) Electronic Export Declaration: National Export System (NES)
This is an electronic based system that enables exporters or their agents to forward their export declarations to the UK Customs electronically.

ii) Manual Export Declaration: Single Administrative Document SAD (C88)
As an alternative to electronic submission of declarations via the NES system, an export declaration can be submitted manually by completing the Single Administrative Document (SAD) form. SAD must accompany the goods to the point of exit from the UK. It is retained by the exporter unless it is required to be presented with the goods at the EC frontier if the goods are exported via other Member States. In the UK this form is known as the C88.

iii) Statement on Business Letterhead
If the above are not available, a dated and signed statement on business letterhead can be presented to the Chamber as an alternative Export Declaration as evidence that the goods are in free circulation and covered by the Customs ATR Procedure. This statement must be printed on exporting company letterhead, must include:
- Name of the exporting company
- Accompanying ATR number
- Accompanying Invoice number
- Applicable Customs Tariff headings (Check with your agent / forwarder)
- Applicable CPC Customs Procedure Code number (Check with agent/forwarder
- Name in block printed letters
- Signature (An authorised signatory)
- Date
To view or print the text for this alternative declaration, click on Export Statement.

An Export Invoice is a document specifying the agreement between the Seller (Exporter) and the Buyer (Importer). Customs authorities in the exporting and importing countries will refer to the invoice to verify the details of the shipment for clearance of the goods. For efficient clearance, it is essential to include as much detail as possible on the Export Invoice.

Content of as typical Export Invoice:
Seller's name, address, VAT number (if applicable)
Consignee name, address, VAT number (if applicable)
Invoice Number, date
Seller's and Buyer's reference number
Country or Origin
Country of Destination
Description of goods
Terms of Delivery (e.g. under Incoterms 2000)
Vessel or Flight Number and Date
Port or Airport of loading
Port or Airport of discharge
Place of Delivery
Shipping Marks and container numbers
Number and kind of packages
Customs Commodity Code
Gross and net Weight (Kg) and volume (m3)
Quantity, total value, unit price and description of goods
Signature and place and date of issue
Exporters should consult their importers or freight forwarder or the relevant country consulates to provide details of non-standard invoice requirements of the importing country if the importing country has specific requirements on the layout, form or content of the invoice.


What is a Power of Attorney?

A Power of Attorney is a written authorisation by which one person enables an appointed person to perform specified acts for his/her behalf.

When is a Power of Attorney necessary?
Powers of Attorney are useful and required in cases when
- You wish your personal or commercial business to be conducted in your absence, for example, when your business is in a different country
- You wish your personal or commercial business to be conducted by someone who has more expertise or technical knowledge than you, when for example, you are dealing with a legal matter
- You are alive but unable to look after your financial or legal affairs, for example, if you are in an accident or suffer a serious medical emergency.

What is a Power of Attorney prepared in the UK?
It is a Power of Attorney that must be correctly executed as a deed under English law and notarised by a UK public notary

What is a Notary?
A Notary ('Public Notary') is a qualified lawyer who is authorised in the UK to certify ('attest', or 'notarise') that a document, such as a Power of Attorney, has been duly executed or duly signed in the UK. Notaries are appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury and are subject to regulation by the Court of Faculties. Scrivener notaries are notaries who have passed the additional examinations that are required by the Scriveners’ Company under the Scriveners (Qualifications) Rules. 

What is Legalisation?
Legalisation (also referred to as ‘Apostille’), is the verification (i.e. legalisation) of a document by the FCO (the Foreign and Commonwealth Office) in order to enable it to be used abroad. FCO Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp appearing on a document belongs to a recognised Notary in the Uk. If you are going to use a Power of Attorney executed in England and Wales overseas, for example in Turkey, it has to be ‘Legalised’ (Apostilled) before it can be accepted by Turkey or an overseas authority.

Translation of a UK Power of Attorney into Turkish
If the Turkish translation of a Power of Attorney and the translation of its Apostille is needed for its use in Turkey,
- In the UK (The translation must be notarised and apostilled in the UK)
- In Turkey (The translation must be done by a sworn translator registered at a Turkish Notary and notarised by a Turkish notary.
In this case there is no further need of apostille or any other legalisation).

For further enquiries, click on Power of attorney (UK)

How secure is WorldPay?

WorldPay uses state of the art security tools and techniques, both proprietary and unique, to ensure that both the Customer and the Chamber are protected against what is nowadays a virtually non-existent risk.

If the Customer keys in their card details at home or in the office, are their details encrypted before they arrive at the WorldPay system?
Yes, by using industry standard SSL, Thawte and WorldPay's unique encryption system, all the card details are encrypted before they reach the WorldPay system. What happens is when a shopper fills in the payment form and clicks the 'Submit' button, their details are not sent straightaway. Instead, a secure link is set up between the shopper's browser and WorldPay producing a private/public encryption code, which then wraps the transaction details before leaving the shopper's premises.

What level of encryption do you have on the WorldPay server?
WorldPay use Thawte 2048 bit encryption systems. At the browser, 128 Bit SSL is used.


Visit our Privilege Card page to view the new benefits offered to Chamber members

Monthly TBCCI Newsletter Signup: